info on nagios

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Mon Dec 15 20:08:23 CET 2008

Please remember to "Reply to All" so the list can see your replies and
provide future information for people searching the archives.

Nagios will do what you want.  Like Marc said, no proxy is required -
just network access between the Nagios monitoring server and the clients
you want to monitor.  There are a few ways you could achieve this, each
with their own benefits.

- Run an SNMP agent on your remote clients, then you can monitor the
clients and the routers in the same way from your Nagios machine (active)
- Run NRPE on the servers/PCs at the remote location, then Nagios can
communicate directly with them to execute the commands (active)
- Run NCSA on the servers/PCs at the remote location, which will submit
the check results to Nagios (passive)

Or, as Marc alluded to, you could also set up a Nagios server at your
local location, and one at your remote location.  Your remote Nagios
server will query the clients at its end (remote; using one of the above
methods) then submit the check results back to the Nagios server at your
local location, which in turn could query the clients at its end (local)
too.

Hope this helps,
Andy