Host is not allowed to talk to us!

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Dec 12 22:15:18 CET 2008

On Dec 12, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Grant Lowe wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Bear with me.  I'm trying to understand all this
>
> Hmm. That makes sense.  Judging by the IP address in the NRPE logs,
> that looks like its a problem.  The IP address it says its not
> allowed to talk to is the NAT'ed IP address, not the real IP
> address, of the Nagios server.

This is what I was asking earlier ;)

> I can ping the Nagios servver by IP and it does respond correctly,

You can ping the private, 172.20.40.45 address? That would be a very
unusual configuration if you're also seeing a public address on the
NRPE side. I expect the box would have to be dual-homed for that to
happen, in which case your NRPE box would also have to have an IP on
the private network and you could tell Nagios to use that one instead
of the one you're using now (completely guessing about your network
architecture so MyMMV).

> But doing a who, or a netstat -a  and grepping for established
> connections shows the NAT'ed IP.  All addresses are adddresses that
> we own.  I'm at a loss of how to correct this.  How do I get the
> networking folks to show the NRPE host the real IP address of the
> server?  Can it be done?

They should know how, and it depends entirely on how your network is
designed. There's no way we can tell you how without knowing that in
significant detail ;) Is there a reason you can't just permit the
public NAT IP that NRPE is seeing? Seems to me to be the most direct
and easiest solution.

--
Marc