Nagios behaviour when scheduling checks

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Fri Dec 12 16:27:15 CET 2008

Hi All!

We are running Nagios 3.0.1 and have serveral services with a check
interval of 5 Minutes and retry of 1 minute. The problem is that the
checks have a timeout of 65 seconds. I looked through the documentation
but couldn't find out how Nagios behaves in this case.

In our case, we have max_check_attempts=2, so we never run into
problems. If there is a NRPE timeout, for example, the service goes
critical and the second check starts a minute later. Here, that's not a
problem. What would happen if max_check_attempts=3? The second check
starts but does not run into the NRPE timeout until after the second
retry should have started. Does the second retry start?

On the one hand, the service is still critical, so retry should be done.
However, the first retry has not returned, so it would also be logical
not to start the second retry. So to me, both ways have a certain logic.

Any input is appreaciated.

Regards,

Jim Mohr