Confusing error message

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Dec 5 00:29:20 CET 2008

Nagios 2.10 is giving me an actively misleading error message.  In this
segment of log, it says I have an invalid "retry_interval" possibly; then,
when I add one (there was none), it says that "retry_interval" is an
invalid directive.  I'm assuming that reading the config docs will tell me
what the real name is, this is just a grouse about the incorrect error.

Error: Invalid max_attempts, check_interval, retry_interval, or
notification_int
erval value for service '$HOSTNAME$ ssh' on host 'prcapp02'
Error: Could not register service (config file '/etc/nagios/modcl.cfg',
starting
 on line 42)

***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config
files...

     Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
     directives and data defintions.  If you are upgrading from a previous
     version of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions
     may have been removed or modified in this version.  Make sure to read
     the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as well as the
     'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.

[ddb at prcapp00 dev]$ ./install.sh
[ddb at prcapp00 dev]$ nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

Nagios 2.10
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 10-21-2007
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error: Cannot open resource file '/etc/nagios/private/resource.cfg' for
reading!
Error: Invalid host object directive 'retry_interval'.
Error: Could not add object property in file '/etc/nagios/linux.cfg' on
line 21.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info