Nagiosgraph graphs have gaps

Steve Burton steve at sliderule.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 23:01:40 CET 2008

>>> I have put a diagnose on the mailinglist for something that is either
>>> the same problem or something similar.

>>> The problem is that nagios can send several commands into the pipe at
>>> once and the other end will only pick up one of them. So the RRD info is
>>> not written. The work around is not to allow Nagios to run things in
>>> parallel. But it will severly limit the amount of hosts and services one
>>> can check with Nagios.

>>> This should have been fixed by using the file interface instead of the
>>> named pipe. The file interface was introduced about a year ago or even
>>> longer back.

>>> Please check the mailinglist archives for more details.

>>> Hugo.

>> Hugo,
>> I have the following in my nagios.cfg

>> # grep service_perfdata ../nagios.cfg|grep -v #
>> service_perfdata_file=/var/spool/nagios/perfdata.log
>> service_perfdata_file_template=$LASTSERVICECHECK$||$HOSTNAME$||$SERVICEDESC$||$SERVICEOUTPUT$||$SERVICEPERFDATA$
>> service_perfdata_file_mode=a
>> service_perfdata_file_processing_interval=30
>> service_perfdata_file_processing_command=process-service-perfdata

>> Also, the perfdata.log file size changes with time, all of which seems
>> to suggest to me that I'm using the file interface. Is this correct?

>> Steve.

> talking to myself....
> I've  tweaked  one  plugin  to write a log file. So far I'm getting an
> entry  about every five minutes, as expected but I'll see what happens
> after daybreak when things get busy.
> If  this  test  succeeds  I'll  try  taking apart an rrd but I've been
> putting that off.

> Steve.

I cocked-up the first attempt but I think I've corrected that now. The
log  shows  that  the plugin is apparently not being called every five
minutes.  There  are  gaps. The longest gap I've seen is several hours
long. The gaps are not the same for each server so I'll re-examine the
plugin to ensure it's not failing *before* the log entry is written.

BTW  I set up nagiosgraph according to the 'new' method in the INSTALL
file that came with the source.

Steve.