Monitoring HP Hardware - NRPE/NSCA on Windows

Jayson Broughton jbroughton at truecos.com
Wed Dec 3 16:20:20 CET 2008

Hey Curtis,

I can vouch for the check-hpasm utility that Gerhard recommends.  We run a
shop of 20+ HP servers (all sorts of HP servers) and I use the check-hpasm
utility for our redhat servers.  This utility has saved my neck a few times
when hardware has failed in remote sites.  What I have done was install the
plugin under /usr/nagios/libexec/ and called it from the nagios server via
nrpe.  Although the only problem I do have with the plugin is that at times
it will give false readings on the first check, but cleared on the 2nd
check.  Logs from hpasmcli show nothing, so I would assume it has something
to do with the plugin being called by nrpe and just hiccupping.  I solved
this by setting my notification thresholds for the service to notify via
email after the 3rd check.

Here's what a memory module error looks like:

CRITICAL - dimm module 5 @ cartridge 2 needs attention (dimm is degraded)

And in a perfect world:

OK - System: `proliant dl585 g1', S/N: 'xxxxxxxxx',ROM:A01 02/14/2007',
hardware working fine

Jayson