Host-Notify-By-EMail vs Notify-By-Email

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Thu Aug 28 05:48:45 CEST 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:16:03 -0700, John Moore <johnfm3 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Ok,
>I have Nagios 2.6, which is a installable RPM with SLES.  I am trying to set up notifications, and its not working.  I have nagiosQL running for setting up my configuration, and looking for information on the following...
>
>Whats the difference between Host-Notify-By-EMail & Notify-By-Email?

They're just commands with different macros to represent extra
information.  host-notify-by-email is used for host, and contains host
based macros, whilst notify-by-email includes service macros.

>Can a there be multiple emails per concact?  Are they seperated by a comma, or each there own line?

The documentation doesn't mention it, but you could give it a shot. if
that doesn't work, you can use the address# where # is a number from
1-6.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#contact

>Do I have to setup a SMTP server to send email?  I just want the notifications going to my comcast account and my cell phone via smtp.

You don't have to have an SMTP server, just something to relay to one
(nullmailer, ssmtp, etc) that can be configured to relay through
another host.

--
Jon Angliss