Active and Passive checks of the same service

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Fri Aug 22 22:00:19 CEST 2008

Taylor> So a nice round-about way of doing it would be to disable
Taylor> active checks on the service initially.  Then when your
Taylor> passive check script detects a problem, not only does it send
Taylor> nagios a passive check RESULT, but it also sends a command to
Taylor> enable active checks on that service.  Then your active check
Taylor> script, when it determines the problem has resolved itself,
Taylor> could also send nagios itself a command to disable active
Taylor> checks on that service.  Fun way to do it.

"Fun"  Clearly a word with many meanings.  :)

Thanks for the tip, I never considered that approach. I'll give it a
shot.