Multiple inheritance, why why why....

Hendrik Bäcker andurin at process-zero.de
Thu Aug 21 07:36:15 CEST 2008

Hi Taylor,

Taylor Dondich schrieb:
> First off, was there REALLY a need for multiple inheritance?  It's
> something that I think would REALLY stab you in the foot.  With a well
> planned template structure with single inheritance, I'd think you'd
> resolve any issue.   However, because we have it, it's good to
> understand it.
>
> Does anyone want to explain to me WHY it was chosen that the
> precedence order of variables go from left to right, instead of right
> to left?  I mean, if you have the following:
>
> define host {
>   host_name testhost
>   use templatea, templateb
> }
>
> And both templates have different values for check_interval.  That the
> value in templatea is the one used instead of the one from templateb.
> That's how the docs describe it.  Does it make sense to most people
> that this is "correct" or would you think it'd be the other way?

Left to right, right to left where's the different if you know how it
works? Something had to be choosen so the devels might thought: "First
come, first serve" might be a good thing.
>From left to right, the configuration (wo)men only must think off: "The
first directive set will be taken from a template, but it can be
overwritten be the atomic service object".

But I see there would be a logic for the other way too: "generic-service
for all, then the closer special ones" - but anyway: I would say it's to
late to discuss this. Many people out there has already Nagios3, they
might alreade use multiple inheritance in the actual way.
> I'm writing a configuration tool and visually it's a vertical list, so
> my idea is that the bottom level template overrides any values from
> upper templates.  It just seems weird.

1. Please not another config tool - there are too many half ready tools
out there.
2. Who must change in your opinion? Nagios to your config tool or vice
versa? (SCNR)

Regards,
Hendrik