Undefined symbols during event broker module load?

Owen LaGarde owen.m.lagarde at usace.army.mil
Thu Aug 21 05:25:54 CEST 2008

I have a broker module that creates a kerberos5 memory cache for later
use with plugins referencing "kerberized" client tools.  For various
reasons this requires use of some customized kerberos and openssl
libraries in /usr/KRB5/lib and /usr/KRB5/openssl/lib.  Using the
existing broker examples was pretty easy;  tell the precompiler where
the extra headers are and you're done.  Here's the resulting compile
line for the module:

    gcc -fPIC -I /usr/KRB5/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H \
        -o krb5cachemgr.o krb5cachemgr.c -shared

The ELF shared object this creates is correct as far as symbol
references go, and all symbol references are resolvable at runtime if
the additional paths are provided to the loader.

And that provision appears to be the problem -- nagios fails to load any
module referencing anything outside of the builtin path list.  Exporting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH above the top process for nagios doesn't affect things
(I halfway expected this since nagios declares itself the process group
leader) but including the new paths in the ld.so.cache is equally
ineffective.  Just for grins I also tried removing the kerberos calls
and testing with a call to a dummy stub in a library in my homedir, with
the same results.  What precisely is nagios doing on broker module load
to resolve relocatable symbol references in the requested module?  Is
symbol resolution restricted to the nagios install tree?

--
Sincerely,

    Owen LaGarde
    Senior Systems Administrator
    Owen.M.LaGarde at usace.army.mil
    1-800-522-6937 x4879

Engineering Research and Development Center
attn: CEERD-IH-C (Owen LaGarde)
3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS 39180-6199