check_snmp_storage ..... ERROR : Unknown storage /var

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 09:37:47 CEST 2008

>> 1) Are you sure that "/var" is a seperate partition? Run
>> df
>> And look at the "mounted on" column
>
>The df command display  the following
>
>[root at vps libexec]# df
>Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>vzfs                   1048576    338374    710202  33% /
>
>do i need to manually mount the  the /home or /var partion ??

>> snmpwalk 127.0.01 -v2c -C public hrStorageDescr
>

>this command gives me the following output :
>
>[root at vps libexec]# snmpwalk  127.0.0.1  -v1 -c public hrStorageDescr
>HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.1 = STRING: Memory Buffers
>HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.2 = STRING: Real Memory
>HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.3 = STRING: Swap Space
>HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.4 = STRING: /

SNMP is working fine. Your /var directory is part of your root file system -- if one fills up, the other will. If you wanted to monitor the space available in /var, you'd monitor the space available on "/" -- it's the same figure.

If you need to know the space used, that's a heavyweight operation -- you need to sum all the sizes of the files in /var -- and even then you have hard links confusing the issue. You can do this by running "du -sch /var" as root, but see how long it takes to run, and realise that while it runs other operations to your disk will slow down.

The reason you can see space used/available on a partition (/ in your case), is the kernel keeps a track of this seperatly in a very small index of the partition.

(unless you're using quotas, which net-snmp probably doesn't support)

If you really need to get the disk space used, you could configure snmpd to run a command on polling of a given mib. Normally snmp commands should return instantly, but there's no technical reason why you couldn't

1) add a file /usr/local/bin/checkSpaceOnVar.sh
with content
#!/bin/bash
sudo /usr/bin/du -sch /var

2) Set sudoers to allow the snmpd user to run "/usr/bin/du -sch var"
3) Add a line to snmpd.[local.]conf along the lines of
exec checkSpaceOnVar /usr/local/bin/checkSpaceOnVar.sh

Then monitor the .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8 oid. You may be better off with
1) NRPE
2) check_by_ssh
3) moving /var onto it's own partitions (there are benefits to doing this outside of monitoring the system)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/