schedule a check only a few times a day

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Aug 18 10:29:35 CEST 2008

Thomas Leveille wrote:
> I would like to add a check, but it would need to run only a few times a
> day. I would like to know the best way to do it. I've thought about 2 ways
> to do it :
>
> - a big 24x7 timperiod associated with a 3-4 hours check_interval value. I
> don't know how nagios react to big check_interval values. I've only added
> checks with interval of 1 to 30 minutes so far.
>
> - a/several very shorts timeperiods (like 5 minutes) with a check interval
> of 2-3 minutes ? I could get 2 checks in a row and I fear of missing a check
> if the nagios server is busy.
>
> - or add nsca daemon on the nagios server and schedule the check via a cron
> job. I don't like this idea which would need me to dig new holes in our
> firewalls. I'd like to stay with the nrpe only setup.

If you can originally run the check from the nagios server, nothing's
stopping you from just running the check through some other mechanism
and submitting the check-result passively to Nagios. You don't have to
go through nsca to do that, and you won't need to open your firewalls
more than they already are.

Check the documentation for how to submit passive checkresults into
Nagios.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se