schedule a check only a few times a day

Thomas Leveille thomas.leveille at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 09:55:38 CEST 2008

I would like to add a check, but it would need to run only a few times a
day. I would like to know the best way to do it. I've thought about 2 ways
to do it :

- a big 24x7 timperiod associated with a 3-4 hours check_interval value. I
don't know how nagios react to big check_interval values. I've only added
checks with interval of 1 to 30 minutes so far.

- a/several very shorts timeperiods (like 5 minutes) with a check interval
of 2-3 minutes ? I could get 2 checks in a row and I fear of missing a check
if the nagios server is busy.

- or add nsca daemon on the nagios server and schedule the check via a cron
job. I don't like this idea which would need me to dig new holes in our
firewalls. I'd like to stay with the nrpe only setup.

Any idea ?

--
Thomas Leveille