elapsed down time

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Aug 16 19:32:49 CEST 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Marc Powell wrote:

> | $LASTHOSTSTATECHANGE$     This is a timestamp in time_t format
> (seconds
> | since the UNIX epoch) indicating the time the host last changed
> state.
> | $LASTHOSTUP$     This is a timestamp in time_t format (seconds
> since the
> | UNIX epoch) indicating the time at which the host was last
> detected as
> | being in an UP state.
>
> I recall that $LASTHOSTSTATECHANGE$ only worked to indicate the
> previous
> working period on a down message but the up message showed a bogus
> counter (being 0 or close to zero). So that variable is not that
> usefull.

That would be an order-of-operations bug then, IMHO. The variables
should not be updated before a notification is sent or they do become
useless. You know by the fact that you received a recovery
notification that it just changed to an OK state. I can't explicitly
test this since I don't use host checks and I'm not using 3.x yet.

> I for one would not care about how long the UP period was but I do
> care
> about the DOWN period. But I have not yet found a way to add it to the
> report.

Assuming that the above macro works as advertised, it would be trivial
--

notification command {
echo " ...\n Duration of downtime was $$((`/bin/date +%s` - $LASTHOSTUP

--
Marc