Freshness checking not triggering immediate notification

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Thu Aug 14 06:29:18 CEST 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:19:46 -0400, Zack Colgan
<zcolgan at clearbearing.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We're running a distributed Nagios setup (3.0.3 on the master, various
>versions on the satellites).  Freshness checks are enabled on all the
>passive services, and configured to go stale after 10 minutes of no new
>check data.
>
>What we're running into is the freshness checks, when executed, only put
>the service in a SOFT state.  This isn't very helpful, since we end up
>waiting another two freshness_threshold intervals (10 minutes, in this
>case) before the HARD state is reached an we get paged.

What's your max_check_attempts for the services? How many failures do
you need to get for the passive checks before alerts are generated?  I
recently (this morning actually) setup passive checks for one of our
servers, and had no issues with configuring the freshness checks, but
I consider max_check_attempts of 1 to be considered failures on this
particular service/check.
--
Jon Angliss