Freshness checking not triggering immediate notification

Zack Colgan zcolgan at clearbearing.com
Wed Aug 13 20:19:46 CEST 2008

Hi all,

We're running a distributed Nagios setup (3.0.3 on the master, various
versions on the satellites).  Freshness checks are enabled on all the
passive services, and configured to go stale after 10 minutes of no new
check data.

What we're running into is the freshness checks, when executed, only put
the service in a SOFT state.  This isn't very helpful, since we end up
waiting another two freshness_threshold intervals (10 minutes, in this
case) before the HARD state is reached an we get paged.

Is this a bug or a feature?  I seem to recall in Nagios 1.0 you would
get notified (by virtue of the HARD state) as soon as the threshold was
reached.  Currently, I've changed the command that gets run upon
reaching the threshold to inject three CRITICAL check results for the
service in question, to force it to a HARD state, but that seems like a
hack.

Thanks,
-Zack

--