Config parser?

JB Segal jailbait at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:31:03 CEST 2008

To bring my convo from freenode:#nagios here:

(15:02) <  Jailbait> Has anyone ever found a good tool for analyzing
_existing_ nagios configs? I'm
                     sort of thinking halfway between a linter and an optimizer.
(15:15) <       sni> jailbait: what do you mean with analysing?
(15:16) <  Jailbait> I mean:
(15:19) <  Jailbait> I have a moderately complex existing install that
I inherited. I'd like to
                     optimize it all... figure out what services are
identical or close; expand all
                     object inheritences to see what's actually being
set for things, etc. Perhaps
                     something that would just generate a
no-inheritence version of a config
                     file... maybe all in a nice spread-sheet format.
If I could export the View
                     Configs output to something (spreadsheet of
choice) could import, that'd
                     probably be close.
(15:20) <       sni> hmm
(15:20) <  Jailbait> ... if I could figure out what could be templated
that ISN'T, that be great -
                     "These 98 hosts all have the same contact_group
set and they all USE the same
                     template. Combine the 2!"
(15:21) <       sni> k, i see
(15:21) <       sni> i dont think that somethink like that already exists
(15:21) <       sni> *something
(15:23) <  Jailbait> There _has_ to be someway to get parser output
out of it... but I have no idea
                     what.
(15:23) <  Jailbait> I mean, the config is parsed at startup and
re-written to something more...
                     complete...
(15:23) <       sni> config parsing is no problem
(15:24) <       sni> use config::general or something like that
(15:24) <       sni> or write your own, the config isn very complicated
(15:25) <  Jailbait> My perl skillz are not in the same universe as
the word 1337, sadly.
(15:26) <       sni> :)
(15:27) <  Jailbait> ... or someway to call config.cgi to get the
output piped to a file...

Any ideas or existing tools are welcome!

Thanks...
JB