feature request: Service used as Host check

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Wed Aug 6 14:34:10 CEST 2008

* Marcus Rejås <marcus at rejas.se> [2008-08-04 10:58]:
> On 08/03 19:28, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> > So if I define the service PING and use check_icmp on there I might as
> > well derive the host state from the service instead of duplicating this
> > check into the host definition.
> >
> > Would it be possible to add the option sometime in the future to just
> > point to a service check on the host and let that result also count as
> > the host status?
>
> Personally I think this is a bad idea. It will add complexity but very little
> is gained.

Given the current state of affairs, I'd tend to agree.

That said, let me add that I never quite understood why Nagios
implements the host/service distinction at all.  AFAICS, this adds quite
a bit of complexity in the first place, and I don't really see the gain
(quite the opposite: it actually reduces flexibility to some degree, as
this feature request shows).  However, that's probably off-topic here,
so I asked on nagios-devel@:

	http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel/5458

Holger