feature request: Service used as Host check

Goldschrafe, Jeffrey goldschr at cshl.edu
Mon Aug 4 17:32:16 CEST 2008

You want check_cluster from the Nagios-Plugins distribution. This is a plugin which checks the results of several host or service checks directly from the Nagios status file to determine if a service is available so, for example, you could have it checking all of your DNS servers and only report that DNS is down if none of them are available.

What you can also do with this is only specify one service, and define this as the host check. So you could do:

    check_cluster -s -d $HOSTNAME$:Ping -w 1 -c 1

Redundant pings aren't a big deal if you're only sending one ICMP packet to check if the host is alive, but if you're worried about packet loss too, check_icmp or check_ping can easily be the biggest scalability killers on your system. For larger deployments, it's really nice to be able to eliminate the check on a few hundred hosts -- it by itself can mean the difference between whether or not you have to scale out a new DNX host.