Lockfile trouble, Nagios version 3.0.3

Francois Joubert francois.joubert at imagination.com
Tue Aug 5 14:20:10 CEST 2008

Hi All

Problem
-------
I am trying to get Nagios v3.0.3 running on my FreeBSD 6.2 box. The
Nagios software was installed from a ported package. I can run Nagios in
the foreground but not as a daemon. I get the following error in the
nagios log:

[1217937468] Nagios 3.0.3 starting... (PID=42846)
[1217937468] Local time is Tue Aug 05 11:57:48 UTC 2008
[1217937468] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[1217937468] Cannot lock lockfile '/var/spool/nagios/nagios.lock':
Invalid argument. Bailing out...

My host machines OS details:
FreeBSD xxx 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 10:40:27 UTC 2007
 root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Fix attempts
1. changed the permissions on the "rw" directory to 777 and also making
the lockfile, nagios.lock, writeable by everyone;
2. deleted lockfile and rebooted the machine to release any locks.

Other syslog and apache logs are clean. I am about to try a Nagios
installation from the source download in case this proves to be an issue
with the FreeBSD ported package.

Can anyone offer any clues?

Thanks and regards
Francois