Nagios Sound Alerts configuration

Ian Masters ian at acces.co.jp
Tue Aug 5 02:37:52 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm using Nagios 3.0.3 and I've been trying to get sound alerts working.
For my company's purposes, this is more useful than email alerts.

Looking at the archives, I can see this subject pops up on an
intermittent basis, but most of the proposed solutions involve scripting
that I'd rather not have to do.

My preferred browser is Firefox (at present version 2.0.0.16) on the
Nagios Monitoring machine (because the OS is a bit old - Mac OS X
10.2.8), version 3.0.1 on a Windows XP machine.

Neither Firefox or IE seem to be able to handle Nagios's sound alerts in
their present implementation. On Firefox, an annoying message bar pops
up informing me that "additional plugins are required to display all the
media on this page" but when I click on 'Install Missing Plugins' I get
the rather disappointing message 'No suitable plugins were found. IE
just seems to ignore the sound alerts without displaying an error.

I can prevent this message from popping up every time the window
refreshes by entering 'about:config' in Firefox's address bar and
setting plugin.default_plugin_disabled to 'false' (Please Google for a
fuller explanation of this).

The only way I was able to get sounds out of Firefox was by using a
Firefox addon called Nagios Checker. This addon checks Nagios at
user-defined intervals and (amongst other functions) can play the Nagios
alert sounds.

At the moment, Nagios Checker seems to be doing the job pretty well, but
I can't help thinking that it shouldn't really be necessary.

It's a bit of a kludge so I was wondering if anyone else had found a
cleaner way of using the alert sounds function in Nagios itself.

Ian Masters