A bit OT: sending MMS messages from Linux

Frater, Greg J GJFRATER at bechtel.com
Mon Apr 28 18:20:21 CEST 2008

Greetings All,

My apologies if this is to much off topic.

We are having trouble sending alerts from our Nagios server to the MMS
address of our cell phones.  We have been sending SMS messages for years
with great success, however MMS messages are never received.  We would
like to use MMS because SMS messages are limited to 160 characters, MMS
has a much higher limit.

The problem is not with Nagios but instead (I think) with the sendmail
mechanism it uses when sending messages.  I'm just hoping someone on the
list has dealt with this already and can help me figure it out.  We use
Sendmail to send massages from the Nagios server to an internal SMTP
gateway that forwards the messages on to the Internet.  We can
successfully send MMS messages from Outlook clients on the desktop which
use the same SMTP gateways as the Nagios server, the phones receive
these without any trouble.  We have tried both ATT and Verizon systems
and neither will deliver the MMS messages from the Nagios server.  We
have also tested sending the messages from the command line on the Linux
server.  The common link between all the scenarios we have tried is the
Linux server and the sendmail transfer agent.  Does anyone on the list
send messages to MMS addresses?  If so did you have any trouble getting
it to work, if not what OS and mail transfer agent are you using?

We have tested this from Red Hat 7.3/Sendmail 8.11 and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5/Sendmail 8.13

Thanks,

-greg