check_logfiles documentation

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 17 21:51:18 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:20:20PM -0400, Victor Lanza wrote:
> Ok, so thanks to that small detail I was able to test the check_logfiles and
> everything works like a charm, I get the seekfile as well as the protocol
> file with results.
>
> Now when I set up the commands again in Nagios and the service checks I get
> the following in the interface:
>
> (No output returned from plugin)
>
> The command is set up this way:
>
> define command{
> 	command_name	check_nrpe_log

I suspect you don't want to do it that way.

> 	command_line	$USER1$/check_nrpe -p 5666 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c
> $ARG1$
> 	}
>
> The service is set up this way:
>
> define service{
> 	use				master-service
> 	host				rflx01app
> 	service_description	Websphere Logs
> 	check_command		check_nrpe_log!check_logfiles
> 	}
>
> Now I try running the command via the command line from the Nagios server
> (not the server being monitored) with the following:
>

> check_nrpe -H 192.168.1.90 -p 5666 -c check_logfiles
>
> This should be the equivalent of the command being issued by Nagios based on
> the setup above. The results are:
>
> CRITICAL -(17 errors, 1 warning) - [4/17/08 13:51:42:420 EDT] 00000037
> SystemOut	0	java.lang.Exception: DBPool returned NULL
> connection.	...|websphere_lines=598 websphere_warnings=1
> websphere_criticals=17 websphere_unknowns=0
>
> Why can't Nagios receive or interpret these results? Do I need a separate
> plugin for that? I haven't read much on NSCA but is that what I need? (I had
> to learn that from scratch :( if that's the case)

No, if you can get to that point from the command line on the
monitoring machine, then you should be ok into Nagios, I would expect.

I see that the first hyphen on the response line is *not* followed by a
space, as I've come to expect... but I'll defer to Gerhard and others
on the formatting of the plugin return string; that's magic deeper than
mine at the moment.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.