check_logfiles documentation

Victor Lanza vicjalan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 21:20:20 CEST 2008

Ok, so thanks to that small detail I was able to test the check_logfiles and
everything works like a charm, I get the seekfile as well as the protocol
file with results.

Now when I set up the commands again in Nagios and the service checks I get
the following in the interface:

(No output returned from plugin)

The command is set up this way:

define command{
	command_name	check_nrpe_log
	command_line	$USER1$/check_nrpe -p 5666 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c
$ARG1$
	}

The service is set up this way:

define service{
	use				master-service
	host				rflx01app
	service_description	Websphere Logs
	check_command		check_nrpe_log!check_logfiles
	}

Now I try running the command via the command line from the Nagios server
(not the server being monitored) with the following:

check_nrpe -H 192.168.1.90 -p 5666 -c check_logfiles

This should be the equivalent of the command being issued by Nagios based on
the setup above. The results are:

CRITICAL -(17 errors, 1 warning) - [4/17/08 13:51:42:420 EDT] 00000037
SystemOut	0	java.lang.Exception: DBPool returned NULL
connection.	...|websphere_lines=598 websphere_warnings=1
websphere_criticals=17 websphere_unknowns=0

Why can't Nagios receive or interpret these results? Do I need a separate
plugin for that? I haven't read much on NSCA but is that what I need? (I had
to learn that from scratch :( if that's the case)

Thanks all,