Nagios Exchange feedback

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:00:27 CEST 2008

Hi,

   I just wanted to give some feedback on the new NagiosExchange site.
I'm intentionally posting here and not via the contact form on the site
itself because I would like to have an open discussion on this in order
to give better collaborative feedback.

First off, thanks to all those who had a part in upgrading the site.

Some of my own personal observations and opinions on the site and how it
can be improved are below if you are interested.

1. The author name is no longer displayed next to the plugins listing. I
don't know about anyone else, but I used to really use this to see
straight off if a plugin was written by the same guy as another one as
there is usually a strong correlation in the quality of plugins and who
wrote them, it helped me avoid or zero in on plugins in a list. It's
also just nice to see who wrote each one when scrolling through any list.
2. The votes have all been reset, which is a shame since it now means
the better rated plugins are mingled in with the not so good ones, and I
doubt people are going to go back and re-cast their votes.
3. The wiki markup changed, it would be nice if this was mapped or
something on the migration, pages I've written now look horrid and I'd
rather not go through so many pages to do it the manual chimp way
(although I could live with it if I had to)
4. Navigation doesn't seem to be as nice as it was. For example, the
only way to browse the plugins is to go back to the home page and
navigate from there. There don't seem to be any links the the top bar of
the page, and things like "Cool Projects" and "Random Project", while
good ideas, seem a bit less useful that this basic usability in
navigation of going straight to the plugins browsing by section like we
had before.
5. I get a certificate error when connecting to the site's login, it
seems that the certificate is self signed instead of verified by a
trusted 3rd party as is standard...

Overall, I feel that NagiosExchange is less clear (I can't fully explain
this bit - a feeling with the layout, spacing, text etc...) and less
effective since it's revamping... I certainly haven't felt as
comfortable using it as the old site, either looking for other people's
plugins or with my own.

I'd like to know what other people think, if anyone agrees or disagrees
with what I think on these topics, since this is a community orientated
site I thought it might be relevant to have a more community orientated
discussion as this is the site's primary audience.

Again, thank you for all of your work on NagiosExchange.org to all those
involved and also to all the plugin authors as well that make the site
such a useful code sharing conduit.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon