Problem with Event Handler {Disarmed} {Fraud?}

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Fri Apr 11 09:17:34 CEST 2008

Hi,

11.04.2008 07:24, Marc Powell wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2008, at 9:44 PM, Miguel Angel wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> First of all, I would like to apologize for my english.
>>
>> I need your help, I'm trying to configure Nagios (version 2.5) for
>> launch backups with Bacula
>
>>         UP)
>>                 echo "The host is UP. Start backup to $1"
>>                 echo "run $1 yes" | bconsole
>>                 ;;
>>
> Educated guess - bconsole isn't in the environment path when nagios
> executes the event handler. You can expect to have a minimal
> environment and should specify full paths to files and programs. Also
> make sure that the nagios user can successfully run that command.

Also, it's much safer to pass the configuration file to use to
bsonsole. So you should end up with something like "/sbin/bconsole -c
/etc/bacula/bconsole.conf"

Things might even be more comlicated.

Your $1 in the event handler script holds the host name as defined in
Nagios. That is not necessarily the name of any Bacula job.

Of course you could define the jobs with the plain host name, but for
reasons of manageability and flexibility I usually recommend a
different naming scheme for the jobs.

For example, on host sample with Bacula file daemon sample-fd you
might have the jobs Sample-root Sample-home and Sample-data. For many
Bacula installations, you soon discover that you need several jobs to
take different needs regarding retention times, storage pools, or
special backup procedures into account.

As long as you really only need one job named exactly like the Nagios
host name, your setup is ok, though.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann