Nagios plugin to regularly reload Nagios

David Knecht david.knecht at anyweb.ch
Wed Apr 2 15:26:56 CEST 2008

Hi all

I am trying to regularly reload Nagios to activate automatically
generated Nagios configuration files.

A shell script such as the one on

http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandinfo.php?command_id=9

might be executed as a cron job to accomplish this.

However, I'd like to run this script as a normal Nagios plugin to keep
all the tasks configured at the same place. When Nagios executes this
plugin, Nagios does get restarted but the plugin does not get
rescheduled after "normal_check_interval" minutes. It gets rescheduled
after ~"max_service_check_spread"/2 minutes instead...

Only the "Nagios reload" plugin is scheduled this way. Any other plugins
are scheduled correctly (that is, they retain scheduling information
since "use_retained_scheduling_info" is set to "1")

I have run the tests on Nagios 3.0.1, 3.0, 3.0rc3 and 2.11.

Anyway: How can I correctly reload Nagios using a Nagios plugin? Is
there any method besides the above to regularly reload Nagios
non-interactively? Is there possibly any other way to regularly activate
Nagios configuration files non-interactively?

Thanks, David