Bus error on start and verification

Kevin Freels kfreels at sendmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:21:50 CEST 2008

Greetings!

To get the prelims out of the way:

 Nagios 3.0
 FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE

Problem: I have built and installed 3.0 on this system, but when I run the verification, I get a bus error.

The output is:

nagios# /usr/local/nagios3/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios3/etc/nagios.cfg

Nagios 3.0
Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 03-13-2008
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

LEN: 44, END: 42, BUF=log_file=/var/spool/nagios3/log/nagios3.log
BUFNOW: log_file=/var/spool/nagios3/log/nagios3.log
LEN: 1, END: -1, BUF=
.
.  (more of the same)
.
LEN: 28, END: 26, BUF=max_debug_file_size=1000000
BUFNOW: max_debug_file_size=1000000
BUFNOW: (null)LEN: 44, END: 42, BUF=log_file=/var/spool/nagios3/log/nagios3.log
BUFNOW: log_file=/var/spool/nagios3/log/nagios3.logrcmdsh: unknown user: Äü$ûPjVè{ ûÿÄ F`
Bus error

Not a lot to go on.  :-(   And, yes, the Klingon at the end is as it is output. Funny, tho, the last line in the config file is the "max_debug_file_size" config, but it looks like it repeats back up to the top where the "log_file" is. Does this have something to do with the caching?

No core file produced, but if I try the init script, I get:

Starting nagios:Bus error (core dumped)
CONFIG ERROR!  Start aborted.  Check your Nagios configuration.

and a core file in the rc.d directory.

I built this natively and saw no errors during the build or the install(s). Here is the set of config options I used:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios3   \
            --with-nagios-user=nagios    \
            --with-nagios-group=nagios  \
            --with-lockfile=/var/run/nagios3.lock  \
            --enable-embedded-perl  \
            --with-perlcache  \
            --with-checkresult-dir=/var/spool/nagios3/checkresults  \
            --with-htmurl=/nagios3/  \
            --with-cgiurl=/nagios3/cgi-bin  \
            --with-httpd-conf=/usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf

This is also the same system that we have Nagios 1.2 running on.

Ideas? Bueller?

Thanks, as always!

....k
-=-=-=-