Suppressing notifications due to Unreachable state due to parent config

Eric Frazier efrazier at ic-agency.com
Mon Sep 24 14:08:56 CEST 2007

I have to start out by saying I did read this, "I get lots of email from
people asking why Nagios is sending notifications out about hosts that
are unreachable. The answer is because you configured it to do that. If
you want to disable UNREACHABLE notifications for hosts, modify the
/notification_options/ argument of your host definitions to not include
the /u/ (unreachable) option."

I checked all of my objects for u flags with a grep -R
"notification_options" /usr/local/nagios/etc/  I did find I missed a
few. Just to be safe I got rid of every u flag I could find. I also
disabled (I think) object caching since I was worried that a previous
'u' setting could be getting stuck as a result.

I have a very basic host that tests a http connect on google.com and
yahoo.com from our office named, "CableRogers"
The hosts we monitor that are outside the office have CableRogers listed
as a parent with "parents CableRogers" in their configs. This seems to
have been done correctly since if I look at the status map, I see
CableRogers being the hub for --->  host1 host 2 host3

I also have a test which I am able to break that both breaks the test
for CableRogers and for host2, but regardless of the timing I still get
notifications from host2. I tried testing this by specifically causing
CableRogers to break, then breaking host2, but I still get notifications
for host2 and there isn't a 'u' in site.

Thanks,

Eric