Standard Nagios Plugins 1.4.9 and IPv6 problem?

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Thu Sep 20 20:36:12 CEST 2007

Another team here manages IPs/DNS so we're not looking to hardcode IPs
for hundreds of hosts we don't manage and won't be aware of IP changes
for.

The thing about #3 is that it seems that no matter how compile the
plugins, it will still use IPv6 if it detects that your include files
support AF_INET6.  You can't turn it off short of finding some way to
turn it off in your OS which seems a bit extreme to me.  I've always
accepted that on any flavor of Linux I use, IPv6 is available even if
I'm not using it.  The idea that some application is going to start
using it when I have no configured interface or any other indication
that IPv6 is in use baffles me.  Beyond that that these plugins would
opt to generate an extra say 4x network traffic that I can explicitly
tell them not to also baffles me.  I mean, what do I have to do to
convince 'check_nt' that no, I really really really don't want it
sending out IPv6 traffic?

I've manually change the config.h for nagios-plugins to undefine both
"HAVE_IPV6" and "USE_IPV6" and found it makes no difference.

We're looking to changes the modules file for this box to prevent any
component of IPv6 being loaded, but I'm still not convinced that will
dissuade the plugins from going on their merry way.

Thanks for everyone's replies, by the way!

Mark