Standard Nagios Plugins 1.4.9 and IPv6 problem?

Mick michaelkintzios at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 19:14:30 CEST 2007

On Thursday 20 September 2007, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> I think that a pluging will just follow the host definition. I doubt there
> is anything you can change in the plugins to ignore IPv6 resolving if you
> use a hostname. It is something that should be part of your resolver
> library behaviour. So it should be configured there.

Some ideas:

I am not up to speed with RedHat, but if you have a /etc/hosts file or
equivalent and the particular FQDN that you monitor has a fixed IP address
you can make an entry there so that the server does not need to go out to a
DNS server to resolve the address.

Failing that look at 1-4 below in order of relative complexity:

1. Issuing the appropriate sysctl command to modify a relevant ipv6 setting
(not sure what this would be).
2. Configuring iptables to block ipv6 outgoing addresses.
3. Rebuilding nagios-plugins without the ipv6 flag.
4. Rebuilding the kernel without ipv6 support.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick