dont check service when host down

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Tue Sep 18 16:23:06 CEST 2007

On 18 Sep 2007, at 15:08, Marc Powell wrote:

>> I'm using nagios to check a lot of host and service. When a host is
> coming
>> down, nagios continue to check the service attached to this host.
>> It's
>> consume a lot of performance, it's trivial to know that when a
>> host is
>> down, we dont get a response from the service associate...
>>
>> how can I fix that ? please
>
> Nagios does what you're asking for by default if you have a host
> check_command that correctly determines the status of the host.
>
> Check the first two paragraphs of
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/networkreachability.html.

Marc, that's not strictly what Olivier is asking for. Nagios will
silence alarms if the host is down, but will continue checking the
service, regardless of the state of the host.

Olivier, you could probably stop the service check by using
dependencies (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/
dependencies.html), but there's a lot more configuration required.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725