Nagios server upgrade from 1.4.1 to 2.9

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Sep 18 10:51:52 CEST 2007

Marco Borsani wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Actually I am monitoring about 400 hosts and more than 1000 services with
> Nagios 1.4.1
>
> We have implemented a hard web structure to give possibilities to modify
> Nagios hosts/services from remote site, without sintax problem risks.
>
> I wonder how I could migrate my linux server from Nagios 1.4.1 to Nagios 2.9
> (or 3.0) safely.
> Is there a procedure to follow ?

Sort of, yes. Logs and configuration needs to be updated. I wrote a couple of
scripts for doing just that once, but I'm afraid they're lost to me now. I
know I submitted them to the list though, and many people reported they had
used them successfully.

Someone (I've forgotten who) also posted a patch to one of the scripts which
fixed some minor issue.

I'd suggest going through the mailing list archives from around the time when
nagios-2.05b came out to find the original scripts. When you have them, search
the archives from 2007 for the names of the scripts and you should be able
to find the patch.

It's not a big panic if you don't find the patch, as the scripts work withouth
them. I've forgotten what it was it fixed, but afair it wasn't anything show-
stopping.

Good luck

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se