Checking COUNTERS with check_nt and/or check_nc_net

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 01:21:57 CEST 2007

Hi Giles,

I am glad this was mentioned,
This is actually a issue that I want to elaborate on,

The problem is not the command line,
but the counter itself,
Since a 0 was returned, the command line is fine, if it had an issue command
you would have recieved a -1  (you can test this, just misspel the counter)

the issue here is that counter needs to have 2 samples taken before
reporting the answer back to check_nt.
If the time between the samples is too small it would always report a 0,
if the time is too large it would increase the time that check_nt is waiting
for a result.

Preformance counter in windows uses a 1s delay between samples, NC_Net to
expidite responce time uses a default of 15ms.  I found this value to be
good for most counters. (the performance counter viewer tool I created also
uses 1s )

Solution change the sampledelay to a higher value, This can be done remotly
on the fly, but it must be changed in the startup.cfg for NC_NEt to use it
at startup.

you can do this through check_nc_net use -v CONFIG -l "sampledelay,1000" to
update the delay to a full second or you may find updating to
0.1ssufficient -l "sampledelay,100"

I hope this clears up the issue,
please let me know if anyone needs clarification,
or this topic could always be brought over to the NC_NEt forunm on
sourceforge.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nc-net

Tony (Author of NC_NEt)