Checking COUNTERS with check_nt and/or check_nc_net

Giles Coochey gcoochey at sapphire.gi
Wed Sep 12 12:10:09 CEST 2007

Hello List,

I've been experimenting with check_nt and check_nc_net (I have Nc_Net
installed on a test server and have had this same problem with both UNIX
plugins).

The server is 2003, English version

The commands which demonstrate working and not working examples are:

Not working:

# ./check_nc_net -H windowssys -v COUNTER -l "\\MSExchangeMTA\\Disk File
Deletes/sec"

\MSExchangeMTA\Disk File Deletes/sec = 0.00

Working:

# ./check_nc_net -H windowssys -v COUNTER -l "\\MSExchangeMTA\\Free
Elements"

\MSExchangeMTA\Free Elements = 7.00

It seems to me that any COUNTER that has a forwardslash in its name
returns zero.

I checked actual values on the server using the local performance
counter viewer provided with nc_net and the values are not zero.

These are just examples, but I get the same results for
\memory\pages/sec and others, it doesn't matter whether I use the ^
notation either.

I tried googling, but didn't get anything relevant, this is NC_Net_V4.1a
installed via the MSI package.

Otherwise, everything seems to be working OK.

Hope someone has either come across this problem or has some ideas, I
don't should I should need to escape a "/" should I?

Thanks

Giles