Check_ldap issue

Donald Kinney kinneyccc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 14:54:43 CEST 2007

Greetings all,

I am currently running Nagios 2.7 with plugins 1.4.6 on an OpenBSD
4.1system.  I am successfully monitoring our environment on several
different
services, dns, http, mail (smtp and imap) and check_host_alive on all our
servers.  In shorter terms the system is working.
My issue is this,

I have downloaded the check_ldap.pl plugin from nagiosexchange, and placed
it in my plugin directory (/usr/local/libexec/nagios)
The permissions on this file are exactly the same as the other plugins in
this directory.

from the command prompt, I can:

# ./check_ldap -H <my.ldap.server>

I receive an OK response.

However when I create a service definition for this check:

define service {
        use                     generic-service
        service_description     LDAP
        host_name               <my.ldap.server>
        check_command           check_ldap

with the following command definition:

# 'check_ldap' command definition
define command {
        command_name    check_ldap
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ldap -H $HOSTADDRESS$
        }

and generic-service defined thusly:

define service {
        name                            generic-service
        is_volatile                     0
        contact_groups                  eservices
        active_checks_enabled           1
        check_period                    always
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        max_check_attempts              3
        parallelize_check               1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        notifications_enabled           1
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             always
        notification_options            w,u,c,r

        register                        0
}

I receive a (No Output!) status message in nagios.

This would indicate I have something misconfigured, but I can not figure out
where I'm  having the problem.
Has anyone else had this issue, or could you point me to the right spot in
the documentation that would allow me to get this working?

Thanks,

Don Kinney
cccIT
Corning Community College