Format of status.dat file documented?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 03:41:57 CEST 2007

Is the format of nagios' status.dat file documented anywhere?

The file contains useful info, so I have my "nagios machine" push
(rsync) the file to my other servers. This means machine X can tell if
machine Y is up, even if the two machines can't talk to each other
directly.

I figured out service statuses 0,1,2,3 stand for OK, WARNING,
CRITICAL, and UNKNOWN respectively (same as nagios plug-in exit
codes).

I was hoping host status would be the same, but it turns out 0 is OK
and 1 is DOWN (this made sense to me later, since hosts don't really
have a "WARNING" or "CRITICAL" state-- does UNREACHABLE = 2?).

One concern: when I upgrade nagios, will the status.dat format remain
consistent? Is there an "API" or something I should use instead?