Ftp issue

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:57:46 CEST 2007

Performance counters or WMI are the best ways to get this information.  the
problem is how to retrieve the data from one of these 2 sources.

If you are able to install an agent on your windows host, then you would be
able to retrieve this information from several differnet agents.  for
example, NRPE, NC_Net, NSClient++ allow running script that are loaded onto
the windows host.  Check_nt with nsClient++ or nc_Net allow access to
performance couunters as well as other checks.  Through scripts or NC_NEt
you can also get this informaiton from WMI.

If no agent can be installed then your should use something like SNMP to
monitor the performance counters.(like was suggested earlier)

Also you could always configure your check_ftp to alert you right away on
first failure, and assume that is is because the connections are used up,
If your hitting your connection limit, is it due to legitimate usage of FTP,
or just people remaining connected and idle that should have timed out?
maybe there are settings you can apply to your FTP server to help reduce the
issue from occuring.

Good Luck,

Tony (author of NC_Net)