SLA reports [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Sep 4 08:21:00 CEST 2007

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au wrote:
> Dear Matthew,
>
> I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I wish (well, have been told to..) to produce SLA type reports of our
>> IT systems for management. At the moment the requirements are rather
>> vague...
>>
>> As we are currently using NDO I am hoping that Jasper Reports may be
>> used to pull reports directly from the database.
>> Poking around I can find no reference to people having done so.
>>

> I haven't heard of too many people taking the next big leap with Nagios,
> namely, using the NDO infrastructure as the basis of availability
> reporting. OTOH there are some who doing what you are proposing, one at
> least with the NDO outage table.

I'm not surprised. The NDO database scheme is much too complex to easily
write applications for, which is probably why there's still no "The GUI"
designed in one of the big P-languages for it.

> At the moment, my employer has an event handler that stashes outage data
> in a table and some home-brew (Perl/DBI/Spreadsheet::WriteExcel) to
> generate some reports (including SLA reports) (ie this is NOT an NDO
> application. However, obviously this is the way to go and once I get
> enough time and energy, I would like to pursue this).

If you feel as if you're lacking that energy at the moment, send over what
you've got and I'll take a look at it. As of 1 october, we'll be looking
at implementing a gui written in PHP and a reporting engine. We'd prefer
if the reporting engine was to use a database backend rather than the
text-files.

> It may therefore possible that the Nagios core could provide more SLA
> support than it does by only actioning outages that occur within the
> SLA. However, irrespective of future core support, you could acheive
> something like the same result by only running checks for the time
> period corresp to your SLA and therefore you would only get outages
> within the SLA.

Such a solution would rob users of the flexibility of altering SLA-
periods at a later date though. I would vehemently argue against it.

> If on the other hand you want to filter the outages in the NDO tables,
> there is a Nagios::SLA that is used here, but since I have no idea what
> Jasper reports is/does, you may not need this.

(for the list, mainly)
Jasper reports is an oss reporting engine written in java. Its' homepage
is located at www.jasperforge.org.
I have no first-hand experience with it, but the ones I know that do
claim that it works to their satisfaction.

>> Any advice while I am still at the stage of working out what
>> management want?
>
> Yep. Write the all singing all dancing Nag availability reporting
> package and earn everlasting fame. For bonus marks, donate it to the
> project (or maintain it).

Preferrably both.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se