SLA reports [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Tue Sep 4 00:45:36 CEST 2007

Dear Matthew,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

> Hi there,
>
> I wish (well, have been told to..) to produce SLA type reports of our
> IT systems for management. At the moment the requirements are rather
> vague...
>
> As we are currently using NDO I am hoping that Jasper Reports may be
> used to pull reports directly from the database.
> Poking around I can find no reference to people having done so.

I haven't heard of too many people taking the next big leap with Nagios,
namely, using the NDO infrastructure as the basis of availability
reporting. OTOH there are some who doing what you are proposing, one at
least with the NDO outage table.

At the moment, my employer has an event handler that stashes outage data
in a table and some home-brew (Perl/DBI/Spreadsheet::WriteExcel) to
generate some reports (including SLA reports) (ie this is NOT an NDO
application. However, obviously this is the way to go and once I get
enough time and energy, I would like to pursue this).

Doing an SLA report is basically filtering the outage times against the
SLA time period.

Amazingly enough, Nagios already does a lot of this sort of filtering
when it determines on the basis of time-periods whether or not to notify
contacts.

It may therefore possible that the Nagios core could provide more SLA
support than it does by only actioning outages that occur within the
SLA. However, irrespective of future core support, you could acheive
something like the same result by only running checks for the time
period corresp to your SLA and therefore you would only get outages
within the SLA.

If on the other hand you want to filter the outages in the NDO tables,
there is a Nagios::SLA that is used here, but since I have no idea what
Jasper reports is/does, you may not need this.

(if you are interested in Nagios::SLA let me know privately. It is not
published and may not be for quite a while since I am busy trying to
pass 642-901).

> Any advice while I am still at the stage of working out what
> management want?

Yep. Write the all singing all dancing Nag availability reporting
package and earn everlasting fame. For bonus marks, donate it to the
project (or maintain it).

Yours sincerely.

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED