Passive Check Notifications (stalking)

Giles Coochey gcoochey at sapphire.gi
Wed Oct 31 12:30:30 CET 2007

Hi,

Can anyone see why I am not getting a notification here?
Is there a way to generate a notification for this?

I have setup a passive check, it is returning an "OK" state.

Within the GUI I see that the passive check result is received.

Within the Nagios Event Log I do not see any notifications generated.
Yet I have stalking enabled, notifications enabled and so on.

Here is the service template definition:

define service{
        name                            generic-snmptrap
        active_checks_enabled           0
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             1
        check_freshness                 0
        notifications_enabled           1
        notification_interval           120
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        notification_period             24x7
        contact_groups                  testing
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        check_freshness                 0
        check_period                    none
        max_check_attempts              1
        check_command                   passive_check_missing
        is_volatile                     1
        stalking_options                o,w,u,c
        register                        0
        }

Here is the actual service:

define service{
        use                             generic-snmptrap
        host_name                       *
        contact_groups                  testing
        service_description             TRAP-OK
        }

This is Nagios 2.9 from source, I see notifications for normal active
services when I get state changes, I only have stalking enabled for this
service template.

Shouldn't I get a notification for a passive check result? If not, can
I?

Thanks

Giles