Passive Check Notifications (stalking)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 31 13:15:01 CET 2007

Giles Coochey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone see why I am not getting a notification here?
> Is there a way to generate a notification for this?
>
> I have setup a passive check, it is returning an "OK" state.
>
> Within the GUI I see that the passive check result is received.
>
> Within the Nagios Event Log I do not see any notifications generated.
> Yet I have stalking enabled, notifications enabled and so on.

stalking only tells nagios to *log* each check-result, not to notify on
each received check-result. Nagios otherwise only logs state-changes.

> This is Nagios 2.9 from source, I see notifications for normal active
> services when I get state changes, I only have stalking enabled for this
> service template.
>
> Shouldn't I get a notification for a passive check result?

Not unless they change state, no.

> If not, can I?

Assuming you want to take the time to write a NEB-module to send one upon
receiving a non-state change result (presumably only for stalking hosts),
then yes. Otherwise no.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se