Notification bombardment

svalding at kent.edu svalding at kent.edu
Wed Oct 24 19:10:48 CEST 2007

Hey list,

I have an issue that just came up. Notifications are being sent
CONSTANTLY. By this I mean, I have over 400 in my inbox from the past 15
minutes of hosts that have gone done and recovered, gone down and
recovered.

The web interface through all of this has showed the hosts as up.
however, when I go to shut off notifications until I can find the source
of the problem, I get the wonderful "hey dork I can't read the
nagios.cmd file. How about making sure it is actually running." error
(In Lamens terms since I can't remember the exact text of the error.)

Now, being somewhat experienced with Nagios and from reading thousands
of posts that I get from the list over the months, I checked to see if
nagios truly was running.

Low and behold it was, like 4 times. Interesting, as this morning
everything was peachy. So I killed off the stray processes, and brought
everything back up and did a

ps -ef | grep nagios and as expected everything was fine and dandy again.

Unfortunately the problem still exists. Right now I have the nagios box
turned completely off, cause I can't get the notifications to shutoff in
it's current state of disarray.

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (which I have a feeling is the culprit), Nagios
3.0b1 and 1.4.7 plugins.

Sorry for the long, drawn out email...

Stephen Valdinger