Host down, but ping works

Giles Coochey gcoochey at sapphire.gi
Wed Oct 24 13:14:30 CEST 2007

> Hi,
>
> i'm monitoring several hosts with Nagios and i've encountered with a
> little problem some time ago...
>
> Two of my hosts appears to be down (host marked as red), but i'm
> monitoring ping service and it works fine. I've got more services on
> this "ghost" hosts and they work well. What can i do to normalize these
> hosts situation? Why host is marked as down when its ping is responding?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Resolving your problem on the first try is going to be rather difficult. It would be good to have more information.

What check do you have to check the host is alive (in some sample configurations this is called check-host-alive)?

And what check are you doing for check-ping?

In the sample configuration (it is only a sample configuration, and many have completely home-grown ones), check-host-alive only sends a single packet, whereas check-ping sends more packets.

If your first packet is always dropped then check-host-alive will always fail and check-ping will still succeed enough of the other packets work.

It could be a network problem, but it could be any manner of other things.