check_ping changed to check_fping

Marc Hultquist marc at e-destiny.co.za
Thu Oct 18 11:26:27 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 08:24 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Marc Hultquist wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Ok I seem to have solved my previous problem with the check_ping stuff,
> > it seems that by slightly increasing the threshhold as well as changing
> > the flags slightly.
> >
> > Now here's the thing, I have now changed to use check_fping in terms of
> > monitoring, for example one of my services being hosted is as follows:
> > define service{
> >         use                     generic-service ;
> >         host_name               cksdialup;
> >         service_description     PING            ;
> >         check_command           check_fping!200.0,20%!600.0,60%  ;
> >         normal_check_interval   5;
> >         retry_check_interval    1;
> >         }
> >
> > Now thats all good and well, but if I then go check on my dashboard for
> > service problems, I still see it being checked with ping and not fping,
> > would or could this be my browser still not refreshing the cookies or is
> > it possible that nagios for some or other reason is still monitoring the
> > services with check_ping ? The thing is in the templates file I have
> > changed the following:
> >
> > define command{
> >         command_name    check_ping
> >         command_line    $USER1$/check_fping $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c
> > $ARG2$ -n 5
> >         }
> >
> > So if anyone would care to tell me what else I should be looking at to
> > check ? I have up until now checked everything possible, or so I think
> > so I am really at a dead end....
> >

> You *did* restart Nagios, didn't you? If so, make sure you don't have
> two versions of Nagios running at the same time.
>
> If that's not the issue, then go check the loaded config from the CGI's,
> by following the "View config" link in your menu. It'll show you what
> config Nagios thinks it has loaded, and might tell you what's going on.

Just checked now, strange one, executing service nagios restart did not
solve the problem, however if I executed service nagios force-reload it
seems to solve it for certain hosts but not others, will have to delve a
little deeper into the config to check....

--
 Marc Hultquist
 Destiny Electronic Commerce (Pty) Ltd
 E-Mail: marc at e-destiny.co.za
 Web: http://www.e-destiny.co.za

 "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but
when there is nothing left to take away !"