check_snmp_printer for HP Laserjet 2600n

Yogesh Hasabnis yhasabnis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:07:01 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I am trying to use the check_snmp_printer plugin to monitor the toner status
and the other parameters related to our HP Color Laserjet 2600n network
printer. Initially I struggled to make it work because I was getting blank
output for various checks using the check_snmp_printer plugin. I found that
the snmp agent on the printer was not supporting the OIDs used in the plugin
script. So, I upgraded the firmware of the printer and found that many of
the OIDs (though not all of them) used in the plugin are now supported by
the printer. I am able to get the status of the black and the color toners
using the "check_snmp_printer <printer_ip> <community> CONSUM BLACK"  (and
similar) commands. But I observe that the output of these toner check
commands is not consistent with the toner status I get by using the
"web-based device status" of the printer. For eg. the web access of the
printer web page gives the toner status as follows: Black: 83%, Cyan: 42%,
Yellow: 42%, Magenta: 42%. As against this, the check_snmp_printer gives the
status as follows: Black: 84%, Cyan: 82%, Magenta: 87%, Yellow: 85%.

Would like to know whether anybody here has had a similar observation and
the workaround if any for this.

Thanks in advance.

Yogesh