problem with instance_name variable in ndomod.cfg

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 11 15:42:37 CEST 2007

Roger wrote:
> I'm trying to integrate NDOutils into my Nagios 2.9 CentOS setup, I'm
> getting a weird error when I add the following two lines in my
> nagios.cfg file, per the README in NDOutils.
>
> ********* /etc/nagios.cfg *****************
>
> #per README in NDOutils
> broker_module=/usr/bin/ndomod.o
> config_file=/etc/nagios/ndomod.cfg
> #config_file OR cfg_file ?

> nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg gives me:
>
> "Error in configuration file '/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg' - Line 230
> (UNKNOWN VARIABLE)"
>
> But when I change config_file variable to cfg_file (the variable I'd
> expect), I got this error:
>
> "Error: Unexpected token or statement in file '/etc/nagios/ndomod.cfg'
> on line 13"
>
> On line 13, there is this line:
>
> ********** ndomod.cfg *****************
> # INSTANCE NAME
> # This option identifies the "name" associated with this particular
> # instance of Nagios and is used to seperate data coming from multiple
> # instances.  Defaults to 'default' (without quotes).
>
> instance_name=default
>
> What might my problem be with this "instance_name" line?

Nagios thinks it's an object configuration file, which it isn't.
I'm not sure where you read that you can send config options to
modules from nagios' config file. AFAIK, you can't. Instead, you
have to send the option on the same line as where you're loading
the module (modules are initialized with one argument, AFAIR).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se