Nagios and cluster setup...few questions

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 15:49:27 CEST 2007

Lacking the time and knowledge to understand monitoring clusters, I
concocted a home brew web page that has the concept of a virtual
service, and virtual service groups. It's all configured in an XML file.
I have a virtual service called "clipcache 01", one called "clipcache
02", and so on. Easch service has two checks pulled from the nagios
status file, using hostname and service description. If both are OK,
then the virtual service is ok, otherwise it's critical.

I then have a group called "Clipcaches", which looks at the number of
virtual services, and is critical if none ar running, warning if 1 is
running, or OK if 3 or more are running.

A group called "live system" monitors the clipcaches group, amongst
others, and exports it's status back up. It also looks for shceduled
downtime and acknowlegments.

Another group that's a member of "live system" is "midtier", which
consists of checks of virtual service "Main midtier" (which monitors a
certain process on one of 3 machines, must be on one, and one only, to
be OK), "Search instance", which is OK if 2 instances are found on one
of 4 machines, warning if 1, and critical if 0, and a few other checks.

The program then displays this as a tree on a webpage, expanding
branches with problems, it gives a quick comforting overview of the
whole system, while nagios' "Service Problems" page gives a list of
things to fix (which might not be of immediate importance to the overall
health of the system, but need fixing anyway)

It does it using Perl's "Nagios::StatusLog" module.

No idea how well it scales, and I'm sure there's a better way of doing
it. It's definatly a work in progress, and has made me think a lot more
about defining system health.

--
Paul Weaver
Systems Development Engineer