Nagios 3.0b4 crashing

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Oct 8 13:35:32 CEST 2007

Please don't top-post.

andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> According to the 3.0 documentation, you don't need to re-compile Nagios to
> get the debug symbols - is this right?

No. See below.

> "Debugging information can now be written to a separate debug file, which
> is automatically rotated when it reaches a user-defined size. This should
> make debugging problems much easier, as you don't need to recompiled
> Nagios."

This is about debugging symbols which reside inside the executable binary,
not about debugging output generated by the program itself.

Debugging symbols and debug output is not even remotely the same.

> I've enabled the "allow Nagios to create core dumps" option (can't remember
> what it's called atm), and the notes for that directive do say that even
> with that option enabled, Nagios may not create a core dump, which it
> doesn't.

It's supposed to. Perhaps you meant "disabled the ..." ?

> I'll try strace/ktrace, but how do you get Nagios to run in the foreground,
> as soon as you start it with "-d" it goes to the background anyway?

Start it without -d, or use "strace -f", although you'll still have to send
the backtrace of your resulting core-dump to the nagios-devel@ mailing list
if you want any help solving the problem, unless a recent CVS snapshot does
the trick for you.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se