Nagios 3.0b4 crashing

andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 17:00:37 CEST 2007

Hi

I'm trying out Nagios 3.0 beta 4 to migrate my Nagios 2.9 system when it's
released, and if I use it with the default configs, it starts up happily
and does what it's supposed to do.

I've started working on my own configs, and suddenly it stopped processing
external commands - when you submit a command through the web interface,
the browser just sits there and never returns.  In the process list, I get
a "cmd.cgi" process which is running until I press Cancel in the browser.

I thought originally it was because the server was running low on available
memory (as it had ~11MB free), but now, it's got 134MB free, and when you
run Nagios, it'll verify the configs fine, then when you start it up, it
creates it's relevant lock file and according to the web interface "Process
Info" Nagios is running, but you look in the process list, and the PID that
Nagios should have isn't there, so presumably it's crashed.

I've run a completely verbose debug, and attached the log - I can't see
anything useful in it though.

Any ideas how I can find out more about what's going on?

Output from nagios -v ...

Nagios 3.0b4
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 09-27-2007
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
        Checked 8 services.
Checking hosts...
        Checked 1 hosts.
Checking host groups...
        Checked 2 host groups.
Checking service groups...
        Checked 3 service groups.
Checking contacts...
        Checked 1 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
        Checked 1 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
        Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
        Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
        Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
        Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
        Checked 4 commands.
Checking time periods...
        Checked 1 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   0

Thanks,